Minecraft on the Xbox 360 and Xbox One has just been updated to version 1.6.4, a free addition that’s available now once your console goes online.
There’s a whole bunch of new stuff in the update, as seen in the trailer above. There’s a new tutorial world to show you how to use all of the content as well.
Microsoft broke down a few of the new things in a bulleted list on the Xbox Wire. It actually looks pretty awesome from here. Here’s their rundown:
- Tame and ride horses!
- Use those horses to run away from the new Wither Skeletons, Witches, and Bats (among other nasty things)!
- Equip your horse with horse armor!
- Name your horse something really cool… and while you’re at it, use the new name tag item to give a less-cool name to your new donkey!
- Build a whole ton of fireworks, and program them to go off when the sun goes down!
- Set off those fireworks to celebrate the successful crossbreeding of your new horse and donkey, and the birth of your new mule!
- Name that mule!
The really interesting bit about this whole thing comes from the timed exclusivity for the update between consoles. The Xbox One and Xbox 360 have version 1.6.4 of Minecraftalready; but, what about the PlayStation platforms? The update is “coming soon to PlayStation.”
It looks like Microsoft is going to make its own platforms the lead devices for Minecraft, though that’s not surprising at all given their purchase of Mojang.